- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
More than 12,000 Pittsburgh residents took giant steps for their heart health Oct. 17 at Heinz Field in the American Heart Association’s annual Start! Heart Walk. As the American Heart Association’s signature fund-raising event, the Start! Heart Walk promotes physical activity and heart-healthy living in a fun family environment.
This year more than one million walkers will participate in more than 500 events, raising funds to save lives from this country’s No. 1 and No. 3 killers—heart disease and stroke. These and other cardiovascular diseases kill more than 870,000 Americans each year and cost the nation more than $403 billion in direct and indirect costs.
American Heart Association’s Start! Heart Walk, which has raised almost $600 million for research and education since it was launched in 1994, took place in about 450 cities this year.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)