- Rehabilitation or Demolition: Which Path for Homewood and Hill District Community Development? - 2013-05-25
- Share your money before you die - 2013-05-23
- Protecting Black Americans’ right to compete - 2013-05-23
- This Week In Black History 5-22-13 - 2013-05-23
- Editorial...Justice served in Philly abortion doctor verdict - 2013-05-23
Gateway Medical Society appreciates the support of the New Pittsburgh Courier for our efforts in building a pipeline for future African-American physicians (www.newpittsburghcourie#AFEC5A5). Our program is named “Journey to Medicine” to acknowledge that there are many steps to becoming a physician. We want to take this opportunity to acknowledge the Heinz Endowments for their generous support to initiate the Journey to Medicine youth academic mentorship program of the Gateway Medical Society. Their continued support of our vision has been most appreciated.
The Pittsburgh community has also been invested in the success of these young men. In addition to the Heinz Endowments, UPMC, the University of Pittsburgh, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, the Allegheny County Medical Society, the Star Program at West Penn Allegheny, the WISER Simulation Center of the University of Pittsburgh, The Falk Medical Library of the University of Pittsburgh, the PACE Foundation and countless individuals have contributed time, money and talent to the development of our future physicians.
Pittsburgh is a special place with special organizations and individuals. Thank you New Pittsburgh Courier for sharing with the Pittsburgh community the positive, hard working, academically driven African-American young men who are striving to become physicians. We welcome everyone to learn more about Gateway Medical Society and its many initiatives and to find ways to contribute to the increased inclusion of our young men and women into productive society.
Thank you very much,
William Simmons, MD
(Dr. Simmons is president of Gateway Medical Society Inc.)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- 'Africa Day': In Ethiopia, African Union celebrates 50 years (1)
- Robert L. Johnson receives highest award recognition From Black Enterprise magazine (1)
- Is Scandal’s Olivia Pope just like the reality show chicks? (4)
- Time to share the ‘truth’ about ‘timeshares’ (5)
- Community outraged over toddler’s shooting death, Rayco declares 'War' (1)