- 'Britain's Obama' urges ties with West Africa - 2013-05-20
- 'Scandal' cast performs finale live for Academy - 2013-05-20
- Bills promote Pittsburgh native and former Steelers' exec Whaley to GM - 2013-05-20
- Miss. mayoral candidate: Radical or mainstream? - 2013-05-20
- Obama's Morehouse visit shines spotlight on HBCUs - 2013-05-20
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Authorities say they are charging a North Carolina woman who slept as a pit bull chewed the toes off her 4-month-old baby’s left foot.
The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the child’s mother, Robie Lynn Jenkins, and her boyfriend, Tremayne Spillman, will be charged with felony child abuse.
Deputies say the couple were dog-sitting the 1-year-old pit bull for a friend who had been arrested on gun charges.
Officials say Jenkins told investigators she was on medication and didn’t hear the child crying as the two slept in the same room Sunday night. She says she didn’t notice the injury until she changed the baby’s diaper Monday morning.
Jenkins and Spillman did not have a listed phone number, and authorities would not say whether they had attorneys.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)