- Heritage, Symphony partner to provide classical music experience to Braddock children - 2013-06-19
- Conflicting opinions opens affirmative action in med school admissions debate - 2013-06-19
- This Week In Black History - 2013-06-19
- CeeLo and Goodie Mob introduce 'Elevate Young Black Voices' contest winners at finale concert - 2013-06-19
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
100 Black Men annual Scholarship Golf Classic
Created on Friday, 07 September 2012 09:53 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 20:13 Published on Friday, 07 September 2012 09:53 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 944
The 100 Black Men is a youth mentoring group established in 1987 and dedicated to improving the quality of life of the African-American community in general, and African-American youth specifically, in the Pittsburgh Region. For the past 17 years the 100 Black Men have sponsored the Mentorship Golf Classic to help fund its Mentorship Program and its Student Scholarship program for its senior students. These programs help prepare deserving youth, and specifically African-American disadvantaged youth in the Greater Pittsburgh area, for post secondary education in their quest to become productive citizens in our society.
The 100 Black Men founded its Scholarship Program in 1992 and has awarded scholarships to over 85 recipients. Currently, more than 90 percent of the high school graduates mentored by the 100 have previously enrolled in or are currently attending various institutions of higher learning. Clearly their efforts are making a difference, not only in Pennsylvania, but across the nation. The local 100 chapter is one of more than 112 chapters of the National 100 Black Men of America Inc., a registered 501(c)(3) charitable, international organization. The mentorship program provides educational, economic, cultural, and health and wellness programs for area middle and high school African-American males and females. For further information on ”the 100,” visit the local website at www.100blackmenofwesternpa.org or the National’s website at www.100blackmen.org.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- This Week In Black History (1)
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)