- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
How to stay naturally cool this summer
Created on Friday, 10 August 2012 09:10 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:52 Published on Friday, 10 August 2012 09:10 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 391
(ARA)—It’s easy to overexert yourself during the inevitable summertime heat wave. There are simple precautions you can take to deal with heat and humidity. The key is to not interfere with the body’s natural ability to keep cool:
•Wear white or light-colored fabrics to reflect radiant heat.
•Choose open-weave, loose-fitting cotton or linen clothing to allow airflow and evaporation.
•Shade your head, neck and face with a comfortable, wide-brimmed hat.
•Take breaks to rest, and avoid prolonged exertion.
•Regularly drink plenty of cool, non-alcoholic, caffeine-free beverages, plus the occasional sports drink to maintain electrolyte balance.
Tom Havran, product specialist with Aura Cacia (www.auracacia.com), offers this recipe using essential oils to naturally enhance your efforts to keep cool in hot weather:
Cool and Fresh Eucalyptus Body Mist
4 ounces water
1 teaspoon plain vinegar or herb-infused vinegar (lavender, rose, peppermint, etc.)
12 drops eucalyptus essential oil
9 drops lavender essential oil
3 drops peppermint essential oil
Combine all the ingredients in a spray mister bottle. Shake vigorously and mist the skin.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)