- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
- New Pittsburgh Courier to honor 50 Women of Excellence June 20 - 2013-06-15
Detroit NAACP head receives Community Leadership Award
Created on Thursday, 10 December 2009 11:21 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:19 Published on Thursday, 10 December 2009 11:21 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 1354
DETROIT—Reverend Dr. Wendell Anthony, president, Detroit Branch NAACP, recently received the Excellence in Community Leadership Award during the first Advocates and Leaders for Police and Community Trust banquet. He was awarded this honor for his perseverance and commitment to the advancement of diversity, community and humanity. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder served as the keynote speaker for the banquet.
“I am thankful to ALPACT for this honor,” said Rev. Anthony. “This award is representative of service not only to the Detroit community but to the broader community as well. An award such as this is based not only on what you have done, but work that others have helped me to do. I also wish to thank everyone who has helped me in my quest to lift up the quality of life for all people. My desire to serve is based on a commitment to provide freedom, justice and equality to all people regardless of race, ethnicity or gender.”
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (3)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)
- Bill Cosby attacked by Republican Allen West: Why these two men are so different (4)