Judge: Wesley Snipes must surrender before holiday
Created on Wednesday, 08 December 2010 10:40 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:23 Published on Wednesday, 08 December 2010 10:40 Written by Associated Press Hits: 2180
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Wesley Snipes must begin his three-year prison sentence for failing to pay taxes before the holidays as originally ordered, and not afterward as the actor had requested.
Snipes asked a judge if he could surrender on Jan. 6 in Pennsylvania instead of on Thursday. The motion says Snipes has four young children and the “surrender date is in the middle of the holiday season.”
But a Florida judge denied his request Monday. The judge wrote that Snipes had plenty of time to prepare “for the impact that his incarceration will have upon members of his family” since he was sentenced more than two years ago.
The 48-year-old star of the “Blade” trilogy was convicted in 2008 on three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file income tax returns.
TMZ first reported the denial.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)