Ex-Detroit councilwoman Conyers reports to prison
Created on Friday, 17 September 2010 10:23 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:28 Published on Friday, 17 September 2010 10:23 Written by Associated Press Hits: 1231
DETROIT (AP)—Former Detroit city councilwoman Monica Conyers has reported to a federal prison in West Virginia to begin a 37-month sentence for corruption.
The Bureau of Prisons says Conyers arrived Friday afternoon at the minimum-security camp in Alderson, W.Va., about 500 miles from Detroit.
|INCARCERATED —In this Sept. 9, 2008 file photo, Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers attends a council meeting in Detroit.
It’s the same place Martha Stewart was sent after being convicted in a stock-trading case in 2004.
Conyers admitted taking bribes to support a sludge contract. She is the wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a Detroit Democrat and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)