- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M tornado pledge - 2013-05-23
- Doctors save Ohio boy by 'printing' an airway tube - 2013-05-23
- Embattled Toronto mayor fires chief of staff - 2013-05-23
- Sergio Garcia will pay dearly for Tiger remarks - 2013-05-23
- Teen star Zendaya finishes 2nd on `Dancing With The Stars' - 2013-05-23
Vonetta McGee dies at 65
Created on Wednesday, 21 July 2010 10:52 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:28 Published on Wednesday, 21 July 2010 10:52 Written by Associated Press Hits: 2018
Family spokeswoman Kelly Nayo says McGee died Friday at a Berkeley hospital. She had been on life support for two days after going into cardiac arrest.
McGee’s heyday was in the 1970s with the wave of movies aimed at Black audiences such as “Blacula,” ‘’Hammer,” and “Shaft in Africa.”
She also starred opposite Clint Eastwood in “The Eiger Sanction.”
McGee didn’t like the term “blaxploitation,” telling the Los Angeles Times that it had racist overtones.
McGee made several other movies and in the 1980s turned mainly to television, including recurring roles on “Helltown” and “L.A. Law.”
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!