- Pittsburgh zoo unveils new tiger cub to public - 2013-05-17
- Farrakhan to Detroit: Investment needed in city - 2013-05-17
- NAACP board honors Evers' memory in Miss. - 2013-05-17
- Former Saints, Chargers RB Chuck Muncie dead at 60 - 2013-05-16
- Arrests in New Orleans Mother's Day parade shootings cheered - 2013-05-16
N.C. police: Dog chewed off baby’s toes as mom slept
Created on Thursday, 03 September 2009 16:08 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:19 Published on Thursday, 03 September 2009 16:08 Written by Associated Press Hits: 1771
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Authorities say they are charging a North Carolina woman who slept as a pit bull chewed the toes off her 4-month-old baby’s left foot.
The Onslow County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the child’s mother, Robie Lynn Jenkins, and her boyfriend, Tremayne Spillman, will be charged with felony child abuse.
Deputies say the couple were dog-sitting the 1-year-old pit bull for a friend who had been arrested on gun charges.
Officials say Jenkins told investigators she was on medication and didn’t hear the child crying as the two slept in the same room Sunday night. She says she didn’t notice the injury until she changed the baby’s diaper Monday morning.
Jenkins and Spillman did not have a listed phone number, and authorities would not say whether they had attorneys.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Black community not to blame for August Wilson Center crisis (13)
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker (2)
- Can the Black community change the face of the music industry? (3)
- Cleveland’s Charles Ramsey—hood or hero? (2)
- Letter To The Editor...Peduto’s been the champion for our community (1)