- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
Created on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 11:04 Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 11:04 Published on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 11:04 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 1539
Spirit of King
JAN. 10—The Port Authority of Allegheny County, The Kingsley Association, The Pittsburgh Pirates and The New Pittsburgh Courier will host the 2013 Spirit of King Awards Ceremony at 10 a.m. at the Kingsley Association, 6435 Frankstown Ave., East Liberty. This year’s honoree will be Barbara Sizemore. For more information, call Jessica Scott at 412-566-5259.
Live Life Without
the Disease Series
JAN. 12— Disease Series. The 10-session series places adolescent health in the contest of teens’ everyday lives and facilitates their ability to make connections about how everyday decisions impact health and well being. They will discuss topics, such as “A Healthy You in Every Season: HIV and STI Prevention,” “The Unique You: Finding Ways of Dealing with Peer Pressure, Stress, Surviving in Your Environment,” “How to Create Success from the Inside Out: A Focus on Nutrition” and “FLEX: Developing Inner Strength to Avoid Injury & Violence.” ETAH is looking for individuals ages 13-19 to participate, along with their parent or guardian. For more information, visit www.educatingteens.org.
JAN. 13—LaMont Jones will host the “HIM: A Runway Revolution” Fashion Show at 3 p.m. at Diesel Club Lounge, 1601 E. Carson St., South Side. This is a menswear fashion show that will feature special music, a cookie buffet, a chic raffle and a special presentation highlighting the Pittsburgh faith-based mentoring organization, Amachi Pittsburgh.This is a 21 and over event. The cost is $20 in advance, $25 at the door. For more information, visit www.pneumapublishing.com.
JAN. 21—The Royal Party will host the 2013 Presidential Inauguration Day Trip to Washington, D.C. at 12 a.m. at the Carnegie Library, 130 S. Whitfield St., East Liberty. The bus will leave on time for the inauguration of President Barack Obama. The bus will include deluxe accommodations, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. The cost is $90, there are no refunds and seating is on a first come, first served basis. For more information, call Vernard Alexander at 412-303-0800.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)
- Record Powerball jackpot inspires office pools (2)