- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
Created on Wednesday, 17 February 2010 11:52 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:20 Published on Wednesday, 17 February 2010 11:52 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 909
FEB. 19—The members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and Alpha Alpha Omega Chapters will host their 83rd Founder’s Day Celebration Weekend beginning with a Community Awards Ceremony and Reception at 7 p.m. at The Priory, 614 Pressley St., North Side. There will also be a luncheon Feb. 20 at 11:30 a.m. at the Omni William Penn Hotel and a Worship Service Feb. 21 at Mt. Ararat Baptist Church in East Liberty. There is a cost of $35 for the awards ceremony and $50 for the luncheon. For more information, call Janice Bates Matuscak at 412-855-3463.
FEB. 26—The Kingsley Association will host their Family Fun Fridays from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at 6435 Frankstown Ave., East Liberty. The fourth Friday of every month the association will have an evening of family fun that includes rock wall climbing, family line dancing, swimming and more. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 412-661-8751.
HIV/AIDS awareness day
FEB. 27—The Central Outreach Center will host a National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day event from 8 p.m.-1 a.m. at 1860 Centre Ave., Hill District. R&B group Artistree will perform. There will be a buffet dinner offered. The cost is $15 at the door, but there will be a $10 discount for individuals who get tested. This is a non-alcohol event. For more information, call 412-471-9806.
MARCH 1—UPMC St. Margaret will host a Weight Loss Informational Session at 6 p.m. at the Conference Center, 1st Floor, 815 Freeport Rd., Aspinwall. This is for individuals considering weight loss surgery. Robert F. Quinlin, MD, FACS; Mark A. Zelkovic, MD, FACS; and others will lead the session. Individuals must be over 18. The session is free, but registration is required. There will also be a session on March 22. For more information, call 412-784-5900.
Empty bowl dinner
MARCH 7—The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and Just Harvest will host the 15th Annual Empty Bowl Dinner from 2-7 p.m. at the Rodef Shalom Congregation, 4905 5th Ave., Oakland. This event is to raise awareness about the problem of hunger in our community. There will be celebrity soup-servers, live entertainment, children’s activities and an auction. Tickets are $20. Forr more information, call 412-431-8960 or visit www.pittsburghfoodbank.org.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)