- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
Created on Thursday, 11 February 2010 12:23 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 19:20 Published on Thursday, 11 February 2010 12:23 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 1272
FEB. 12—The Department of History at Carnegie Mellon University’s Center for African American Urban Studies and the Economy will host their Lecture and Discussion event with Dr. Okezi T. Otovo from 4:30-6 p.m. at the university’s Steinberg Auditorium, Baker Hall A53, 5000 Forbes Ave., Oakland. Her topic will be “Making Better Babies and Perfecting the Race: Mothering and Nation-Building in Brazil.” The lecture is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served before the lecture and discussion. For more information, call 412-268-8928.
FEB. 13—The Community Empowerment Association will host “Justice for Jordan” from 2-4 p.m. at the CEA Cultural Center, 7143 Fleury Way, Homewood. This is a community response to police brutality and aggressive practices. The discussion will focus on the incident involving Jordan Miles, a student who was severely injured by three police officers on his way to his grandmother’s home. For more information, call 412-371-3689.
FEB. 13—A Giving Heart and the Urban League Young Professionals will host their Pre-Valentine’s Day Masquerade Ball at 5:30 p.m. at the Renaissance Hotel, 107 6th St., Downtown. The evening will include jazz music by Sounds of Soul, art by Solomon Armstead and various raffles. There will also be a cash bar and photos available. Proceeds from the evening will go towards purchasing buildings for homeless families and a community center. For more information, call 412-894-6869 or visit www.agivingheart.org.
Evening with Sapphire
FEB. 19—The members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and Alpha Alpha Omega Chapters will host their 83rd Founders Day Celebration Weekend beginning with a Community Awards Ceremony and Reception at 7 p.m. at The Priory, 614 Pressley St., North Side. There will also be a luncheon on Feb. 20 at 11:30 a.m. at the Omni William Penn Hotel and a Worship Service on Feb. 21 at Mt. Ararat Baptist Church in East Liberty. There is a cost of $35 for the awards ceremony and $50 for the luncheon. For more information, call Janice Bates Matuscak at 412-855-3463.
Empty bowl dinner
MAR. 7—The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and Just Harvest will host the 15th Annual Empty Bowl Dinner from 2-7 p.m. at the Rodef Shalom Congregation, 4905 5th Ave., Oakland. This event is to raise awareness about the problem of hunger in our community. There will be celebrity soup-servers, live entertainment, children’s activities and silent auction. Tickets are $20. For more information, call 412-431-8960 or visit www.pittsburghfoodbank.org.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)