- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
(CNN)—Lenny Kravitz isn't playing around with his acting career.
The 48-year-old rocker has signed on to portray soul/R&B legend Marvin Gaye in an upcoming biopic, his rep has confirmed to CNN.
The project will be directed by Julien Temple ("The Filth and the Fury"; "Bullet"), and is slated to begin filming in 2013.
|Musician Lenny Kravitz walks the red carpet at the 82nd Annual Academy Awards.
(CNN Photo/Tim Hart)
According to The London Evening Standard, Temple's biopic will chronicle Gaye's later years in the early 1980s when he was in Europe battling addiction and refreshing his career.
This will be Kravitz's first lead role, although he's been steadily snapping up memorable supporting roles over the past few years, including a gig in 2009's "Precious" and 2012's "The Hunger Games."
In addition to the Marvin Gaye biopic, Kravitz will again appear as the stylist Cinna in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" next November, and in Lee Daniels' "The Butler," which is also slated to arrive next year.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)