- Roll to the Polls...Get Out and Vote! Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 2013-05-19
- Mayweather Jr. ranks No. 1 on SI Fortunate 50 - 2013-05-17
- More visits by artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, needed, says Afro-Cuban filmmaker - 2013-05-17
- Mo’Nique shows off amazing weight loss - 2013-05-17
- Our primary election endorsements - 2013-05-16
The narrative depicts the lives of six men who struggle through the Jim Crow era and emerge with distinction as the first African-American pilots in the U.S.
Army Air Forces. With courageous brotherhood; their intelligence, patriotism and strength propel a dream into flight while fighting both military and social wars.
The captivating all-male cast including Pittsburgh native famed Screen Actor, Lamman Rucker (Tyler Perry’s “Why Did I Get Married”) delivers a powerful performance that will entertain, inspire and inform as audiences discover the story that provoked a monumental change in American history.
“This story really inspires us to see how dreams and determination work together. I’ve witnessed audience members laughing hysterically and then sobbing solemnly. It is a perfect vehicle to educate, entertain, inspire and add perspective to a rarely heard chapter in American history and I’m so glad to share it with New York,” says Playwright Gray.
“Black Angels Over Tuskegee” has been an official selection of the 2007 and 2009 National Black Theater Festival and recently won the 2009 NAACP Award for Best Ensemble, as well as the 2009 Artistic Director Achievement Award for Best Play.
The Black Gents of Hollywood were founded in 2007 by a male ensemble of African-American actors, writers and directors who take social responsibility in redefining the images of the Black male with relevant and educational entertainment. Founding members include: Layon Gray, Lamman Rucker, Jay Jones, Thom Scott, Jason McGhee, Justin Biko, and Eddie Lewis.
(For more information on The Black Gents, visit: www.theblackgents.com or visit them on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/theblackgents.)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Obama's Morehouse visit shines spotlight on HBCUs (1)
- Janet Jackson, Wissam Al Mana Married In Secret Wedding (2)
- Fifth annual National Achievers Society inductions (2)
- Breast cancer survivor group targets young Black women (1)
- Wes Moore replaces Dr. Ben Carson as Johns Hopkins commencement speaker (3)