- Rehabilitation or Demolition: Which Path for Homewood and Hill District Community Development? - 2013-05-25
- Share your money before you die - 2013-05-23
- Protecting Black Americans’ right to compete - 2013-05-23
- This Week In Black History 5-22-13 - 2013-05-23
- Editorial...Justice served in Philly abortion doctor verdict - 2013-05-23
Do I need to invest in stocks for retirement?
Created on Friday, 02 November 2012 10:42 Last Updated on Monday, 03 December 2012 20:13 Published on Friday, 02 November 2012 10:42 Written by Courier Newsroom Hits: 953
by Walter Updegrave
(CNN)—Can I skip investing in stocks altogether during retirement if I have saved a lot?—Andrew C., Florida
After seeing stocks plummet almost 60 percent between late 2007 and early 2009, I understand why you may want to avoid them. And you can, as long as you’re able to live comfortably on a very low withdrawal rate.
With a 100 percent bond portfolio, taking out 3 percent of your portfolio’s value initially and then adjusting that amount annually for inflation would leave you with roughly an 80 percent chance of your money lasting 30 years.
But is such a low withdrawal rate realistic? For most retirees, I think not. And once you start taking out more—even going from 3 percent to 4 percent—avoiding stocks reduces your return potential so much that it leaves you vulnerable to running out of dough early.
That said, you don’t have to go overboard. Invest half your savings in stocks and half in bonds—close to what 401(k) participants in their 60s do on average, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute —and you have just under an 80 percent chance of your portfolio lasting at least 30 years, assuming a 4 percent withdrawal plan. Even if you reduce your stocks to 30 percent of your portfolio, that probability falls to just 70 percent.
So why go with anything more than the absolute lowest amount of stocks necessary? Leaning a bit more toward equities may enhance your financial security in other ways.
One benefit is that stocks can help you maintain a higher balance in your retirement accounts than a more conservative mix would.
Having a cushion as you enter your later years can provide a margin of safety in case you run into higher- than-expected health care costs or other unanticipated expenses.
What’s more, in the event your spending creeps up, a more stock-heavy portfolio may be better able to absorb the higher outlays. Boosting your withdrawals with a more conservative mix is far more likely to send your nest egg to an early demise.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- 'Africa Day': In Ethiopia, African Union celebrates 50 years (1)
- Robert L. Johnson receives highest award recognition From Black Enterprise magazine (1)
- Is Scandal’s Olivia Pope just like the reality show chicks? (4)
- Time to share the ‘truth’ about ‘timeshares’ (5)
- Community outraged over toddler’s shooting death, Rayco declares 'War' (1)