- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise - 2013-06-19
- 2013 National Urban League Conference, 'Redeem the Dream' set for Philly - 2013-06-18
- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
On National Signing Day, Feb. 1, Linsly Senior Akil Blount, son of Mr. and Mrs. Mel Blount of Claysville, Pa., signed with Florida A&M University, where he is projected to play defensive end. Blount selected A&M over Duquesne, Robert Morris, Stony Brook, Southern University, Lafayette and Bucknell among others.
|PROUD FAMILY—Seated from left: TiAnda Blount, Akil Blount and Mel Blount. Standing: Dan Buchwach, athletic director, and BJ Depew, head football coach of Linsly School.
Akil was a 2011 team captain and received the Most Valuable Player Award. He earned four varsity letters in football and set the school record for career sacks with 25. He was named 1st Team All-Valley in 2010 and 2011, 1st Team All OVAC in 2011and 2011 WTOV9 Big 22 High School Football Player of the Year. Blount also lettered in track and basketball. His many extracurricular and community activities included Youth & Men’s Usher, Judicial Scholars Program, Media Ministry Men’s Choir, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Model United Nations, Volunteer at Soup Kitchen & Children’s Museum and counselor at The Mel Blount Youth Home. Akil plans to pursue a degree in business and economics.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)
- Black politicians need to learn to steal from the right people (1)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)