- The Wise Decision...Replace your trigger foods - 2013-06-18
- Passion begin 2013 playoffs with 63-0 beat down of Cincinnati - 2013-06-17
- Toomey Update: Two judges confirmed for PA's Eastern District including first Latina - 2013-06-16
- New Pittsburgh Courier to honor 50 Women of Excellence June 20 - 2013-06-15
- Riverhounds extend unbeaten streak to eight, draw 1-1 with defending USL PRO Champs - 2013-06-15
The event will be comprised of two parts: The Community Appreciation Benefit on Oct. 30, at the August Wilson Center from 7-10:30 p.m.; VIP Social 5:30-7 p.m. and the Economic Awareness Day will be at the Greater Pittsburgh Coliseum from 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
DAWN WEBB TURNER
The Economics Awareness portion will provide workshops based on financial literacy and planning, entrepreneurship support, credit education, diet/health/insurance, procedures on property acquirement in the area, and more. There will be an African market of vendors, information tables, book signings, poetry reading, displays of youth entrepreneurs and other trade projects, step performances, motivational speakers, impersonation of George Westinghouse, and the highly requested “Real” Homewood tour!
The purpose of the Appreciation Benefit is to say thank you to people in the areas of service in education, community and business. Rick Adams will be the master of Ceremonies and Esther Bush is mistress of ceremonies. Musical selections will be performed by Nelson Harrison, Brother 2 Brother and students from the Afro-American Music Institute.
Honorees include education; Linda Ross-Brown, John Tarka, Patricia Davis, Phyllis Jones and Community College of Allegheny County Homewood Branch; business; Belmar Printing, Dorothy and Leonard Washington of the Hoagie Castle, Wades Barber Shop, Simmies Restaurant and Debbie Hickman, owner of the East Hills Giant Eagle;Community awardees include the Rosedale Block Cluster, Operation Better Block and the Community Empowerment Association. The Faith Based Organization Spotlight will be on “Rapha Ministries.”
Proceeds from the events help support the George A. Webb Sr. Learning Institute & Museum.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (3)
- Homeowners Bill of Rights emerge as remedy to foreclosure (1)
- Bill Cosby attacked by Republican Allen West: Why these two men are so different (4)
- This Father's Day we celebrate the legacy of TV dads (1)
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity' (1)