- Perry beats Schenley in overtime thriller 30-28, playoffs set - 2010-11-10
- City League Roundup…Peabody upsets Brashear in their final game - 2010-11-05
- City League Roundup...Brashear edges Oliver in double OT - 2010-10-20
- Perry demolishes Allderdice 40-0 - 2010-10-13
- Perry, Allderdice remain tied atop City League standings - 2010-10-06
Category: Sports Published on Thursday, 22 October 2009 11:02
“This is the most successful year that we have had thus far as a league,” said ACMFL President Jose Regus. “We are excited about the (onset) of this year’s (post-season) as we are expecting to see some huge matchups.”
|HOPE FOR THE FUTURE—The undefeated Wilkinsburg Twerps with coaches Omar Doss, Jeffrey Jones, Cliff McCaulley, Milo Gaskin and Tom Harris.
To confirm that notion, this year’s playoffs will feature some of the league’s heavy-hitters. According to league standings, there will not be very many surprise matchups. One should expect that these games will bring re-enforcement to some upsets that occurred earlier in the season. As a result, it will naturally give those teams that were upset the opportunity to get their ultimate revenge on the way to a league championship in just a few short weeks.
In the final week of the season, there were two sweeps. Lincoln took four games away from Braddock. Congratulations to the Falcons as they’ve had a good year. Best wishes to them in the future. Also, the North Side won four games from the forfeited West Pittsburgh organization. There were also two 2-2 splits between Homewood and Garfield as well as between the Hill District and North Shore.
Let’s take a look at the Week 10 results:
North Side 4-0
Hill District 2-2
North Shore 2-2
Garfield vs Homewood: Twerps—12-0 (Homewood); Termites—19-0 (Garfield); M. Mites—6-0 (Homewood); Midgets—19-0 (Garfield)
North Shore vs Hill District: Twerps—26-12 North Shore; Termites—6-0 North Shore; M. Mites—26-0 Hill; Midgets—33-0 Hill
North Side vs W. Pittsburgh: North Side wins all games
Lincoln vs Braddock: Twerps—13-6 Lincoln; Termites—7-0 Lincoln; M. Mites—19-13 Lincoln; Midgets—27-0 Lincoln
Clairton vs Wilkinsburg: Twerps—13-0 Wilkinsburg; Termites—0-0; M. Mites—26-6 Wilkinsburg; Midgets—6-6.
The first round of the playoffs will be held at Lincoln’s Chadwick Field on Saturday and at Clairton High School on Sunday.
Those games will begin at 9 a.m., and are as follows:
Twerps: at Lincoln—Homewood Vs North Side
at Clairton—Wilkinsburg vs Lincoln
Mighty Mites: at Lincoln—Wilkinsburg Vs North Shore
at Clairton—Garfield vs Lincoln
Midgets: at Lincoln—Lincoln vs Wilkinsburg
at Clairton—Clairton vs Homewood
•All first and second place teams in each age/weight classification will receive a first round bye.
•The second round will be played at “The Swamp” in Garfield and the Hill District next Saturday.
(Follow Our Weekly Coverage Of The ACMFL and make your comments on www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com)
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)