- Alvarez's two monster blasts power Pirates over Brewers 5-2 - 2013-05-25
- Youth, 16, charged in slaying of teen Rankin girl, second suspect sought - 2013-05-25
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch - 2013-05-25
- Michelle Obama and Kerry Washington promote arts education at D.C. school - 2013-05-25
- Md. hatchet murder suspect is son of Bush White House official - 2013-05-25
by Tshego Letshwiti
JOHANNESBURG (AP) —Nelson Mandela’s grandchildren underwent a harrowing ordeal with gunmen following the South African icon’s 92nd birthday party, but no one was hurt and the attackers fled after an exchange of gunfire, police said July 22.
Police spokesman Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said the grandchildren were returning to their Johannesburg home following the family birthday party July 18 when two gunmen approached their car. They ordered the occupants to lie down near the entrance to the home of Mandela’s daughter Zindzi.
One fired a shot and the family driver returned fire.
Armed carjackings are common in South Africa, which has one of the highest rates of violent crime in the world.
Mariemuthoo said police investigations were continuing and no further information was being released.
South African media reported that expended cartridge cases were collected from the scene by security agents after the incident and a suspected getaway car used by the attackers was later recovered northwest of Johannesburg. Police refused to comment on those reports.
Last month, Mandela’s great-granddaughter Zenani, 13, died in a car crash on the way home from the FIFA World Cup opening concert. The driver of the car was scheduled to appear in court on July 26 to face homicide and drunk driving charges.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- 'Africa Day': In Ethiopia, African Union celebrates 50 years (1)
- Robert L. Johnson receives highest award recognition From Black Enterprise magazine (1)
- Is Scandal’s Olivia Pope just like the reality show chicks? (4)
- Time to share the ‘truth’ about ‘timeshares’ (5)
- Community outraged over toddler’s shooting death, Rayco declares 'War' (1)