by Elliott Spagat
SAN DIEGO (AP)—Police are investigating a noose found hanging at the University of California, San Diego two weeks after a party mocking Black History Month ignited campus racial tensions.
A campus police statement Friday says the noose was found hanging from a bookcase on the library’s seventh floor late Thursday night.
Police say nobody saw the noose being placed and no arrests have been made.
Students posted photos of the noose on Internet sites, sparking angry chatter about whether it was a prank or a racially tinged threat.
The school has been in turmoil over an off-campus “Compton Cookout” party organized by some students that urged people to dress as ghetto stereotypes. Hundreds of people rallied on campus Wednesday to demand the school do more to fight racism.
Digital Daily Signup
Sign up now for the New Pittsburgh Courier Digital Daily newsletter!
- That intelligence agencies monitor our calls and Internet usage shouldn’t come as a surprise (1)
- Central Baptist Church hosts 'Spring Hat Sensation' at LeMont (2)
- Pitt hosts national summit tackling poverty research cuts (2)
- Last Dance: AVA Bar & Lounge in East Liberty closing (5)
- A White South African's memories of Nelson Mandela (2)